How To Start Navigating Social Media Marketing
When Marc Hausman was recently asked by BtoB: For complete article just click here.
BtoB: What’s the key to being successful in using social media to reach this audience?
Hausman: The important thing is that it’s still in early-adopter phase; no organization has missed out. Second, you still have to execute traditional branding and awareness external communications tactics; but now, if you’ve got really interesting content, you can laser-target potential customers, potential teaming partners and even prospective employees through a variety of different social and online communities in a very measurable and targeted way.
That said it all for me.
At this point I have a solid 8 months behind me in the Social Media arena. I feel I am what is considered a newbie in the business. With that said, I’m still ahead of 75% of the businesses out there, maybe more. What that say’s to me, the market is ripe to excel with your business. It is like watching sharks feeding, it truly is fast and furies, everybody is claiming to be the next expert.
There are definitely some who are experts and fortunately I feel I’ve been able to align myself with some sharp people in this particular niche. As they say it’s like drinking water from a fire hose. In the last 90 days I have converted my website from a Web 1.0 system to a Web 2.0 system to incorporate all the features that the new technologies have to offer.
Basically, that just means I have left the traditional brochure, HTML heavy website for a database driven or Content Management System (CMS). This technology is much more user friendly when it comes to updating your website. This is key when it comes to incorporating the power of the Social Media/Web 2.0 environment. For now here are 13 points to consider when navigating this new environment.
Some of the key points that I have learned in the last 8 months is:
1. CONVERT YOUR WEB 1.0 – HTML website to a WEB 2.0 Content Management System (CMS) also known as a Database Driven website, ASAP. If that is something you are going to hold back on at least start working on some of these points.
2. IT’S HERE TO STAY…
Don’t turn your back to this; if you notice your competition is doing it, you are now a follower. You can still catch up it just takes more work. The time is NOW.
3. DON’T GET OVERWHELMED.
It is easy to feel like this is a entirely new job description in addition to what your already doing.
4. GET STARTED NOW.
Align yourself or partner with someone you feel is further ahead of the curve than yourself.
This will give you a target to aim for. Since things are moving at a much faster clip than ever before.
5. START SOME ACCOUNTS:
Get a Google gmail address, start Facebook page, get a Fan page for your business, start a Twitter account, LinkedIn & YouTube for starters. Join some groups on these pages and listen first, then make a comment, start a conversation.
6. SEARCH out some industry related blogs.
Join the blogs, listen and learn, then comment and again engage in the dialog.
7. START to check out what your competition is doing:
Check out their website. Do they publish articles, are they asking you to follow them on Twitter, and asking you to Fan them on Facebook.
8. JOIN different opt-in’s by visiting other websites so you can monitor their marketing effort to you. This has been helpful for me as I didn’t have to recreate the wheel.
9. START to leave links behind in your comments and blog posts.
Link’s are your Website address, more specifically your web pages or landing pages as they are called, they are specific pages on your website that have opt-in forms for your visitors to exchange there contact info for something you offer of value. IE: Coupons, How To, 5 Tips, 10 Tips, VIP Membership, Charter Membership, 5 Mistakes to avoid, etc.
10. LIST BUILDING: This is the first step to building revenue through your internet marketing efforts. The next big step is to start to publish articles that are related to your industry or offer. This and the tips I highlighted are going to start to get Google and the other search engines to notice your website or landing page. If you have the tools to start capturing the visitors that come to you then can start building your list and market back to them.
10. EZINEARTICLES: This is a website that could be considered a library for self published articles. These articles get cataloged & categorized by EzineArticles and search engines like Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc. Additionally people like you and me read, redistributed, and repost. All of this activity leaves links back to your landing page or webpage.
11. TURN YOUR ARTICLES INTO VIDEOS and submit them to YouTube. This is another avenue to get your message out as well as links back to your landing page.
12. NOW TAKE YOUR VIDEO and turn it into an AUDIO also known as a PODCAST. Submit your podcast to podcastalley.com. Once again you have left a link behind to get more optimization to your landing pages.
13. Also known as the BAKERS DOZEN. The tips I’ve covered are (No Pun intended) just the tip of the iceberg. I recommend you check out The 77 High Voltage Social Media Tactics. This will definitely FAST TRACK your learning curve.